8.23.2006

Rallarvegen "The coolest guy on the whole route"



Rallarvegen: "...the coolest guy on the whole route !".
  I've heard about this route for a long time- miniature of Norway, mountain "bikers heaven", wild nature on the old railway trail. George Lucas filmed here scenery of the ice-planet Hoth in "Star Wars" and R.Amundsen trained before conquering north pole - nice recommendation, though. It is very rare to see recumbent there, and of course mine attached Extrawheel trailer arouses amazement. I saw lots of photos and descriptions of the trail, also got familiar what weather conditions I can expect at the end of the July. So, no snow nor stony tracks cannot discourage me. Let's go!








    



I have started at Haugastol - leaving there my car - because I travelled from Kobenhavn where I live now. It is unbelievable, but the whole 'travel set' fit perfectly in the old Fiesta with folded rear seats. Preparing the bike and luggage load took only 20 min...off we go! Slowly first to the hut - local souvenir shop to get a map (it is worth its 75NOK - very detailed and moreover shows where is allowed to camp due to local restrictions). When leaving the store I came up against the mob - making photos and asking typical questions : "Is it hard to learn how to ride on this?" or "That's road racing bike isn't it?" - well ...not particularly hard and I will now show you off-road ride! :) ...Finally on track. A little bit too late for the start - it is already evening. According to the route description it is 'gently uphill'. The further, the more I must said.










It was quite difficult to pass through the local tunnels under the railway track . At the one (suddenly downhilled- left-right - underpass) I've fall into dense gravel, finally with all the stuff knocked over the stones. Luckily not far from the ground, not too fast, and trailers bags supported me well. But the spd shoe has been pulled out in panic to have ground support. In the last moment - but no losses at all. Several times after that I've heard rubbing against big stones on the way with panniers, bags or even deraileur ... nothing was hurt anyway. So I am trying to be careful - it is strange however while passing full-pro guys on the full-suspended mountain vehicles, but almost nobody had so much luggage. By the way you really MUST HAVE patches, spare tube & tyre... just in case










More and more beautiful landscapes when the sun goes down. Most of the bikers now going back, most of them are surprised when see me. Waving both with the legs and hands I am greeting them all. Looks like I will be on the many photos.. Slope of the uphill is moderate but the gravel is a real killer. My rear wheel is loosing grip all the time, because of the heavy-loaded 'tail' and the dust with thrown stones behind me marks my struggle well on the road.










However my long vehicle works great I've decided to stop and rest a bit. Sun goes down completely so its gonna be my campsite for this night. Nice sound background of the little waterfall, nice picturesque background to admire all around. Fast bathe in the icecold stream (not so cold as it looked), supper and sleep. Mosquitoes will let you live - unfortunately 'stealth-type' so you cannot really hear them feeding on you. You will get it again while scratching those spots next day. In the morning - fast breakfast, packing the stuff and on the road again.












I've reached to the Finse station: 1222,2m above see level. Tourists abundance let me to leave vehicle inside the mob and do a little walk. The whole 'city' is made up by a shop, hut, restaurant, train ticket office, tiny toilet and railway mini-museum. 












On the other side of the buildings nice view for the blue lake and snowed mountains. It was busy on the station but no one thought to look here..Maybe they admiring madman's driving deckchair? Never mind...lets rock! now its gonna be Fagernuts slope up - highest point of the route.










After yesterdays warm up real slopes begins. I could easily went uphill with my gear range but loose gravel cooled me down. I had to push going on foot - quite often. But even pro-guys with their monster-tyred bikes had to do the same. So we walk arm by arm slowly and talk much - most of them are curious what the hell I am riding on. Road is getting more and more narrow, with no safety barriers, sometimes we even crossing small snowdrifts...






 Finally it is - the highest point - 1343m - I've took some photos, chatted with some Norwegian - and went further, 'gently downhill'



Small break for a 3 photos: 'on top' , 'average'  and 'professional' ;)












... better not to speed up in order not to short-cut the way directly down (which could be hard to survive), also is nice to admire panoramas. Sometimes the muffled sound of the train comes out from somewhere up. Tracks are hidden in tunnels along the way.  It begins to be quite dangerous - lots of big rocks and sharp downhill.












Take a break near nice waterfalls for a lunch. Sandwiches with special Norway's goat's cheese which has toffee taste. Water around from a glacier, a bit cold..




I am lucky because on the recumbent bike you can actually walk downhill while seating in it - it must look funny but enables me to 'walk' down safely on the rocky trolls paths, squeezing brake levers tightly. Heavy loaded trailer still wants to 'help' me with gaining too much speed...














Epic views around me..This is "Klevagjelet Raving" the ledge just above boiling river surrounded by waterfalls. Again I am walking while sitting on bike...












Funny episode on the way: Suddenly I see climbing couple on the shiny brand-named bikes. All stuff brand new and matched precisely for colour. Guy jumps off the bike, girl tries to catch her breath. We talk about conditions on the road, weather, bikes. Then, on leaving he says: "Damn it! I thought I will be the coolest guy on the whole route!!!" Rotfl:) ... I forgot to take a contact with them anyway














Along waterfalls all the time long road lead to the emerald lake. At last, occasional rain caught me there.









Among rocks finally I've reached 'Myrdal-Flaam" intersection. To the first one - almost vertical slope to heavens, to the second: 22 hairpins road downhill. Again I walk uphill grating with spd blocks up to Myrdal station. I've found nice camping place surrounded by hospitable French team. We spent great evening together, I had a chance to recall my poor French knowledge too..











Next day I decided to walk down towards Flaam. I couldn't probably drive down (again lots of rocks+gravel) and the climbing back would be a nightmare. By the way - it is famous downhill-guy's unofficial training route. I've locked bike & trailer on the station and went down walking. I've found lots of waterfalls, also my own on the off-route, wild nature and delicious bilberries.












From Myrdal I've took train back to Haugastol (keep in mind that bike ticket is more expensive then passengers!), I've admired through the train window already known sights on the way, this time slightly from different perspective.. 




My car has been on the place as I left it and I could put the sticker on my recumbent - I run over Rallarvegen - mountain biking trail  






The one I know for sure - no one saw that kind of vehicle there before!


Show Rallarvegen route on bigger map.



Bryxon - Copenhagen, 23.08.2006